New SMITHS Digital Tachometer for the Classic Jaguar E-Type
CAI has designed a new digital tachometer for the classic Jaguar E-Type sports car. The new gauge retains the style and look of the original gauge, but incorporates modern digital technology.
The classic Jaguar E-Type was manufactured by Jaguar Cars Ltd between 1961 and 1975. Since the launch, the Jaguar E-Type has become one of the most famous and desired British sports cars ever manufactured. Celebrity E-Type owners included footballer, George Best, and Hollywood stars Brigitte Bardot, Tony Curtis and Steve McQueen.
The new classic Jaguar E-Type Tachometer has been recreated with an electronic movement mounted in a billet case. The gauge has been developed by the in-house CAI engineering team and will be made at the manufacturing facility in Abercrave, South Wales. During the design process, the team ensured that the new digital version respected the history of the Jaguar E-Type, retaining the same look and feel of the original gauge.
The new digital Jaguar E-Type Tachometer specification is:
- Diameter - 120mm
- Finish - Black Bezel, Black Dial, white pointer
The new Tachometer is in addition to the range of SMITHS gauges already manufactured by CAI for classic Jaguar E-Types. The range of gauges includes:
- The original design of Speedometer, in mechanical form, for the Series 1. The Speedometer is mounted in a pressed case and has the original movement. Two types are available for either 160 Mph and 260 Kmh;
- Original bi-metal Fuel Gauges for the Series 1 Mark 2 and Series 2 Mark 2 E-Type, both manufactured to the original specification and using much of the same tooling;
- A Series 1 Mark 2 Water Temperature original bi-metal Gauge, also manufactured using most of the original tooling;
- An Oil Pressure Gauge for the Series 1, supplied as a kit with oil pressure sender and gauge. It is available with both a full vee black or half-round bezel and 100 psi gauge;
SMITHS Instruments has a rich history with Jaguar. Many of the early models featured SMITHS gauges in their dashboards including:
SMITHS branded gauges, designed and manufactured by CAI, also feature in the 'new original' Jaguar XKSS.
For more information on the range of gauges designed and manufactured for the Jaguar E-Type and other models of Jaguar, please contact us on:
Phone: +44 1639 732200
Via the Website
Posted by Paul Fears on
2 August 2017 at 12:00 AM
E Type, Jaguar, Jaguar E Type, SMITHS, Tachometer,